Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Golden Demon Japan 2013: A making of my Diorama

So I set off on the crazy path of building this diorama back in February when I got my hands on the Angron model. I had an idea from the Horus Heresy: Galaxy in Flames book of this scene where Saul Tarvitz is trying to find more loyalist to set up defenses and meets a World Eaters Captain at the time when Angron is charging up and slaughtering anyone he sees, and Saul knows fear for the first time and runs away.
 
 
So I had a few things I wanted to capture in the scene.
 
1. Lots of slaughtering.
 
2. Lots of destruction of the terrain as the scene takes place after the bombings.
 
3. The loyalist to maintain a "good guy" appearance.
 
4. Angron had to be visible from all directions
 
 
I started on base construction. This was my first time ever doing something to this scope. I had a big vision, but was uncertain throughout exactly how to do it. Probably should of planned more first.
 
Angron originally started more central on the base, but I ended moving him back.
 
 
I imagined the main area have being hit with lots of bombardment so wanted a transition from blown out area and still stable concrete/man-made look. I think I ended up making it to straight, and it wasn't very natural looking. 
 




 
 Angron moves back and secure his scenic base to the diorama.


Start construction of the walls. I made this door blown off like this for two reasons.

1. I needed to see Angron from the back side

2. There is the double headed eagle on the doors and that symbol was not in wide use during the time, so it had to go and I destroyed... This ended up being a hit from the judge as he said I didn't explain why that was in the diorama... I was thinking maybe the bombardment did most of it ???

 
Getting the scene built up and deciding on placement of the other models on the scene.
 
 



 
Getting the base primed up. Found lots of areas that needed more sand afterwards. Also go the areas marked for marble.

Started work on Angron. Lots of Sycorax Bronze used for the armor. Another first for me was using white primer before painting. I really should of painted to my strengths, but I had this idea and couldn't let it go.
 
Getting the base ready for marble effect.

 
 Basic shape set in.


Working on walls

This red was meant to be primer not rust... There is a lot of industrial grade primer that is red and thought it would look good, which it ended doing, but was confused as being rust by many.

 
 Using some Ghost Tints to change it up some.


A little hairspray and water does the diorama good.



Should of kept the shoulder pads off for painting, but of course inexperience killed lots of time.




Getting more of Angron done.


Just blocking in colors

Got a trim around the marble for the flooring.
 
Lots of missing pictures between working here, but all the shading is done along with rust and verdigris. The first model is attached.

 
 I built up a small pile of rubble for the heavy bolter gunner to be high enough to shoot out the window.

 
 Getting a feel for the scene.

 
 The last two models for the back are in progress.


Angron gets fixed to the base.




Final look at how all the models will be painted like before applying the blood.


All pieces are attached with the blood effects and weathering applied. I finished four days prior to the Golden Demon. I really had more time to add more to the scene.





 
This project was a big learning experience and there are things I could of done better now knowing better techniques. I'm glad I won the bronze demon on this!
 
I hope you all enjoy the diorama. Maybe someday soon I will learn to take better pictures.

1 comment:

  1. There aren't too many people who take home a GD on their first try, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete